David's Prayer

Psalm 27

All his life, David learned about God and His goodness. David loved God and obeyed Him.

David wrote songs and prayers to God. When David thought about the times he had been sad, lonely, hurt, or scared, he remembered how God had helped him. David knew God had kept him safe many times.
King David Playing the Harp by Gerard van Honthorst (1590 - 1656).

David's prayers often told about God's love and care and David's trust God.

This is one of David's prayers:

God gives me light. God saves me. God makes me brave. Why should I be afraid?

When people tried to hurt me, God stopped them.

If more people try to hurt me, I won’t be afraid.

I want to be with God always.

When bad things happen, God will protect me.

When people try to hurt me, I will be happy and sing songs to God.

God, hear me when I call and help me.

God, You told me to do what You want me to do, and I will.

Don’t hide from me, God. You helped me. You saved me.

Even if everyone leaves me, God, you will never leave me.

Teach me what to do, God.  Show me how to stay away from bad people.

Save me from bad people that say I did bad things when I didn’t.

God will be good to me.

When bad things happen, I will always be brave and wait for God.

David knew God would help him.

God is faithful to help us when we call on Him. We can thank God for His love and care.



Bible Paraphrase: David found strength in God. (David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the LORD his God. –1 Samuel 30:6 NIV)

Text Truth: God will help us.


Activities You Can Do at Home

Strum a Guitar

You'll Need: Bible, child’s or adult’s guitar, ukulele, or other stringed instrument, Activity Page

Strum the strings, then sing (tune “God Is So Good):

David found strength. 
David found strength. 
David found strength. 
He found strength in God.

Show your child the picture of David playing the harp. Ask his if she sees a harp. Describe other string instruments that musicians play.

Open the Bible to Psalm 27 and tell the Bible story. Tell her that David played a harp.



Use Writing Tools

You'll Need: Bible, paper, variety of writing tools (pens, pencils, colored pencils, markers), computer keyboard, index cards, a praise music CD or MP3 files

  • Set up a writing area. Encourage your child to use the materials to write or draw.
  • Play the CD or MP3 files. Mention that the songs praise God.
  • Remark: “David wrote songs and prayers to God. He told God when he was sad or hurt. God helped David. God will help us.”
  • Open the Bible to Psalm 27 as you tell the Bible story. Comment: “The Book of 1 Samuel tells about the happy times and sad times in David's life. We know that God helped David be strong.”

Arrange Flowers

You'll Need: Bible, fresh (or artificial) flowers, non-breakable vase

  • Set the materials on a table. Invite your child to arrange flowers in the vase.
  • Mention that David spent time outdoors. He prayed and talked to God about many things.
  • Open the Bible to the Family Verse reference and read it. Ask a child to say the verse after you.

-
Cartoon artwork is the property of ChristArt Christian Images, (http://www.christart.com) and is made available on the condition of proper attribution. 
-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Early Christians Shared Everything

Abraham and His Family Moved to a New Land

Isaac Did Not Fight