The Centurion

Matthew 8:5-13

Our true story comes from a part of the Bible called the Gospel of Matthew. Matthew was a disciple of Jesus. That means Jesus was his teacher. And the word gospel means “good news!”

Our story is about a special kind of soldier called a Centurion. Centurions were leaders in the army. They were big and important! Their soldiers listened to them. 


But the Centurion in our Bible story believed that Jesus was even MORE important. And THIS Centurion needed Jesus’ help.


So, the Centurion went to Jesus and said, “Jesus, my servant is at home, and he is very, very sick. Please, I need your help to make him better.”


Now remember, Jesus was busy, and He was on His way to do important work. But do you think that stopped Jesus from helping the Centurion? No way! 


Jesus said, “Do you want me to come to your house and make him better?” Jesus was willing to go all the way to the Centurion’s house to heal his servant.


Do you think the Centurion said, “Yes, come to my house?” Well, the Centurion said, “You are way too special to come to my house. I know, you can just say it, and my servant will get better!”


And that’s exactly what Jesus did, friends! Jesus told the Centurion to go home and the servant would be all better. Do you think the servant was better when the Centurion returned home? YES! He was. Wow! Jesus is such a good friend. Jesus heard someone needed His help, and He helped them.


Jesus loved the Centurion and his servant JUST like He loves you! That’s why Jesus wants to be your friend forever, because He LOVES you, so very much. 






Bible Paraphrase: A friend loves at all times. — Proverbs 17:17, NIrV

Text Truth: Jesus loves me and wants to help me.



Family Devotional

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”

Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”

The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
Matthew 8:5-13

Our Bible story was about how Jesus wants to help people. The Centurion heard that Jesus has the power to help people and that He wants to help people. That’s why he went to ask Jesus for help when his servant was so sick. What did Jesus do when the Centurion asked Him to help his servant? Jesus made the Centurion’s servant all better!

Jesus helps people because Jesus loves us. And we know that a friend loves at all times. It’s important to talk to Jesus when you need help.

Pray with your family. Allow any family members to pray if they wish. In your own words, thank God for sending Jesus to help you. Thank God that Jesus is always with you, listening, and ready to help. Ask God to help (family member's name) with (what that family member listed) [continue with each family member]. Tell God you believe that Jesus can help you. Thank God for His love and tell God that you love Him, too. Close your prayer, "In Jesus' name, amen."

-
Story illustrations are made possible by a joint venture of Good News Productions, International and College Press Publishing Co. Artist: Paula Nash Giltner (www.theglobalgospel.org). The images are freely available for personal, teaching and ministry use under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Early Christians Shared Everything

Abraham and His Family Moved to a New Land

Isaac Did Not Fight